Tooth found lurking in supermarket cheese


tooth found in Sainsbury's cheese

Jane Betts, a 42-year-old IT consultant from Cambridge, bit into a slice of Wensleydale, and was shocked to discover a piece of tooth. She spent a few minutes frantically checking her teeth to see where it had fallen out from, and was baffled to discover that all her teeth remained firmly in place. She ended up taking it to her dentist, who confirmed it belonged to someone else.

It's a grim tale - but bizarrely Betts isn't the first person to stumble across a tooth in their dinner.

Betts told the Mirror she had been to the dentist the day before, so was initially convinced that some of her dental work had broken off. However, her dentist confirmed that the tooth had in fact come from the piece of Wensleydale Jervaulx Blueat, which she had bought from a branch of Sainsbury's in Cambridge.

Cambridge News reported that she took it to the council's environmental health team, and complained to the supermarket. Sainsbury's told the Mirror: "We take great pride in the quality of all the food we sell. We have spoken to Jane and will of course support the environmental health officer with any investigation."

Toothy tales

Betts may count herself particularly unlucky to find a tooth in her dinner. However, she's not alone.

Earlier this year Ireland's Food Safety Authority revealed details of some of the shocking things found in food - and listed a human tooth which had been found in a Chinese Takeaway.

Back in January a Canadian teenager found a human tooth in a bag of Spanish peanuts. He put it in his mouth and crunched the tooth into three bits before he noticed that something was awry. The Canadian Food Inspection Agency is investigating.

In February last year we covered the story of the human tooth (complete with filling) found in a packet of sausages bought at a branch of Tesco in Kent. Tesco confirmed it couldn't have been in the sausages when they left the factory - because they go through a metal detector before they leave and the filling would have set it off. However, they offered the customer a £25 voucher as a goodwill gesture.

In 2012 a French supermarket carried out a year-long investigation as to how a human tooth could have been found in one of their hamburgers. Eventually it turned out that the tooth in question belonged to the women in Angers who had bitten into the burger. She had lost a crown while chewing the meat and thought it had been in the burger all along.

And Betts may take a crumb of comfort from the fact that things could have been much, much worse. If you have a weak stomach perhaps you ought to stop here... Perhaps the most shocking case was in 2005 when a customer found part of a worker's finger in a pint of frozen chocolate custard bought at a Kohl's Frozen Custard shop in North Carolina. Apparently there was an accident in the store in which an employee lost a finger, and while the employee was receiving medical attention, a drive-thru window attendant unknowingly scooped frozen custard from the bucket containing the finger.