Gruesome photo of closed down takeaway

Updated: 

The takeaway

Waltham Forest Council has released photos of a chicken takeaway joint in Wood Street, East London, which has been closed down for a series of grim hygiene violations.

So what was so bad, and is this the grimmest tale we have heard from a restaurant?


Waltham Forest Council closed the fried chicken restaurant - called QFC - last Monday, and went to court on Wednesday to ensure it stays shut until it is no longer a health risk. It took the step after a routine inspection, where it found an incredible level of filth and a mouse infestation.

Deputy Leader of the council, Clyde Loakes, asked: "What does the Q in QFC stand for?" He suggested: ""Queasy? Questionable? Certainly not Quality, that's for sure!" He issued photographs which show mouse droppings littering the floor, the insides of cupboards and every available corner. The kitchen and floors were caked in grease, and old food was left to rot on the floor.

Loakes added: "It is truly shocking to find businesses like this that have an utter disregard for the health and well being of their customers." He added that the photographs had been released as a warning to other takeaways that this filth will not be tolerated.

Take a look at the gruesome pictures:

Gruesome photos of closed down takeaway

Gruesome photos of closed down takeaway


One of many

We can take some comfort from the fact that this takeaway will be forced to clean up its act. However, if you are partial to a late night piece of chicken, then it may come as a nasty surprise to learn that a number of takeaways regularly do poorly in hygiene inspections all over the country.

Earlier this year Which? Identified Bexley in South East London as the home to the worst hygiene standards - with six of the ten worst postcodes for hygiene. In the worst - DA7 - 45% of all eateries inspected were rated lower than 'generally satisfactory.'

Huge fines

When restaurants are prosecuted, often some of the worst offences are hit with the highest fines, and some of the biggest fines tell a horrific tale.

In January last year a Chinese restaurant in Greenwich was fined an incredible £54,000 and its owners were banned from ever running a restaurant again. The restaurant had been closed two years earlier after an unannounced inspection revealed a mouse infestation, and the owners had been fined £13,500. The second fine reflected the failure of the restaurant to take the first prosecution seriously and improve conditions.

In May this year a Caribbean takeaway near Croydon was hit with a £30,000 fine, for offences going back as far as 2005. In May last year hygiene officers found an infestation of cockroaches and mice, but although they shut the restaurant and cleaned up, when the council returned in November they found more offences - including dead cockroaches in dirty food trays.

In February 2009, Chester's Chicken and Pizza, on Coy Nook in Blackburn was fined £27,000 after an inspection found 126 cockroaches in the kitchen - including two dead ones stuck to the door seal of the fridge.

In March this year the Greenwich Trafalgar Tavern was fined £20,000, after a number of grim finds. Along with the mouse infestation was a problem with the drains that meant that the sinks had backed up and filled with sewage. The pub had solved this problem by covering the sinks with cling film.

In December last year the owner of the New Chutney Express in Tooting, South London, was fined £20,000 for a string of hygiene offences, including a rat infestation. He even battered a rat to death in front of inspectors.

And in among the grim and he grotesque, there's the bizarre. In 2009 a Countess was fined £40,000 after health inspectors found a live rabbit living in the kitchen of her Fairholme Hotel in Great Yarmouth, Norfolk.

10 consumer rights you should know

10 consumer rights you should know