Curry house closed after poisoning health inspectors

Updated: 

Kayal restaurant

The Kayal curry house in Leicester has been temporarily closed and tests carried out, after four health inspectors on a night out fell ill with suspected food poisoning. The owner said it was the first time anything like this had happened at the restaurant.

But it's not the first time it has happened elsewhere.


The restaurant is undergoing tests, but the owner confirmed to the Mirror that the health inspectors and 15 other people had been unwell. They were contacted by other diners, who were offered a refund and a free meal as an apology.

The North-West Evening Mail highlighted that that the curry house has a great reputation, with five star ratings in the last three council inspectors, and had featured on the Hairy Bikers TV show and Paul Hollywood's bread series.

Unlucky

The owners will have to wait for the results of the tests to see what has happened. They told the Mail that they were unlucky that inspectors were there at the time. But they are not the first to have this spot of bad luck.

A couple of years ago a Christmas party for health inspectors in Lawrenceville, Illinois was soured somewhat by the cold diced ham in the salad bar. Of the 72 inspectors at the party, 42 came down with food poisoning, and the restaurant was closed down.

In 2011, the owner of a London sandwich bar was fined £15,500 after safety officers were served a cup of tea with a cockroach in it.

Other restaurants didn't poison the health inspectors, but still did an impressive job of turning their stomachs. In 2012 a restaurant owner from Tooting was forced to pay £20,000 in fines and costs after health inspectors visited and found a rat infestation. During the inspection the owner battered a rat to death in front of inspectors.

Seven of the craziest supermarket glitches

Seven of the craziest supermarket glitches