Co-op announces new rewards scheme

Updated: 

Co-op rewards scheme

The Co-op has unveiled a new rewards scheme after being forced to abandon its usual pre-Christmas dividend for seven million members.

The UK's biggest mutual organisation told delegates at a meeting in Manchester on Saturday that £8 million in half-year payments to members could not be justified in light of the near collapse of its banking arm.


The full-year dividend, which last time amounted to more than £100 million, is likely to go the same way after the group made a loss of £559 million in the first six months of 2013. A final decision will be made early next year.

Chairman Len Wardle said at the group's half-year meeting: "Our decision not to pay an interim dividend was not one that was taken lightly.

"But it was viewed by the board as a necessary one, given the challenges facing the group at this time."

The Co-op has announced details of a separate rewards scheme that will see members offered 10% vouchers that can be saved and used as a cash equivalent in the group's 2,800 food stores before Christmas Eve.

If a Co-operative member spends £30 they will be given a voucher worth £3. Vouchers can be collected between November 18 and December 15.

Chief executive Euan Sutherland said: " Technology now allows us to offer these more immediate rewards which we are confident our members will appreciate in the run-up to festive period."

The Sunday Times said that a review of the Co-op's donations to the Labour Party will form part of a strategy rethink being undertaken by Mr Sutherland, as he also attempts to reduce the group's £1.3 billion debt pile.

He said in an interview with the Sunday Times: "Part of our strategy work, and we will come back with it next May, is to ask, where and how should the Co-op movement be contributing to local society and to community movements?"

He added: "Being a mutual is not an excuse for not making money. My intention is to make decent profit out of the Co-operative Group. What we then do with that profit is different."

The Co-op bank's rescue plan announced last week will see around 50 branches close and bond investors including US hedge funds given 70% of the business, leaving the parent Co-operative Group with a 30% stake.

The controversial move comes after a £1.5 billion gap in finances was discovered following the purchase of the Britannia Building Society and abortive plans to buy hundreds of Lloyds branches.

The Co-op business also includes supermarkets, pharmacies and a chain of funeral parlours.