Hayley O'Shea, a 39-year-old accountant from Bournemouth in Dorset, was cooking dinner for her daughters when she noticed something odd about the pasta. She had opened a new packet and poured the pasta into the saucepan when she spotted hundreds of black things.
She drained the pasta, took a closer look, and discovered it had been crawling with weevils.
According to the Metro, she returned the Cook Italian pasta to Tesco, who apologised and gave her a voucher for £10. A spokesperson told the newspaper that if any customer finds anything unexpected in their products, they should return it for a thorough investigation.
The Daily Mail reported that a spokesperson for Cook Italian said that their high standards meant that this sort of thing is very unusual, but added: "Equally, though, we all have to accept that natural products attract natural issues from time to time but that said, our processes are set up to eradicate all of these which are within our control to do so."
What are weevils?Weevils can be found in any kind of dried wheat-based food - especially flour and pasta. They will have got into the grain at some point before it reached your kitchen and the weevils will have laid their eggs.
It means that often when you reopen the package, the weevils have had a chance to mature, and you'll spot them for the first time.
What can you do?The good news is that they are not poisonous - they don't sting or bite - they're just not something that's very nice to find in your food. However, if you find them you will need to throw out all wheat-based food in the cupboard and scrub the shelves carefully, to get rid of any eggs that the mature weevils may have escaped and laid.
It's also worth investing in airtight containers for your flour, and consider freezing it to kill any weevils before you store it.
It's not comforting to know that weevils are so common. However, if you ever do stumble across something wriggling or crawling in your flour, you can draw some comfort from the fact that things could be much worse. Just remember the five people from our story this summer who found cockroaches in their dinner.