The Fixer: Classic car insurance

The Fixer logo Have you been left out of pocket due to poor service or sharp practice? Do you have a money problem that won't go away?

It can seem impossible to get a fair result when you are battling a financial issue alone. But never fear! The AOL Money Fixer is here to help.

Dear Fixer,
I have just bought a 25-year-old Jaguar that needs quite a bit of work but I hope will be a beautiful, classic car when I have finished.

The work will take at last six months, if not a year, so that car will be in the garage for that time.

However, a friend tells me that I will need to insure it even though it will not be being driven. Is this true? And do you have any other tips about classic car insurance?

N Boyden, Birmingham

Dear Mr Boyden,

Your friend is right that, due to Continuous insurance enforcement (CIE) rules introduced in 2011, it is now against the law for all vehicles, including classic cars, to be without insurance.

You can, however, register your Jaguar as off road with a Statutory off Road Notification (SORN), in which case no insurance will be needed. You can find out more about how to do this here.

You could, however, consider a "laid up" classic car insurance policy - available from most specialist providers as well as a number of mainstream insurers - which protects against fire, theft or damage while the vehicle is in the garage.

Once you are ready to take the car out on the road, meanwhile, remember to shop around for the best deal and check the small print - for example whether the replacement parts policy guarantees authentic parts.

The Fixer

Whatever your financial problem, write to and The AOL Money Fixer will get on the case.