Pizza shop fined £2k for filth



Flying Pizza in Morriston, Swansea, has been fined £2,250 for a host of hygiene failures - including the fact that staff had to manually flush the toilet - and then had no hot water in which to wash their hands before returning to make pizzas.

But just how bad were things, and how does this compare to the worst offences?

The fine

According to the South Wales Evening Post, Environmental Health officials visited the takeaway in November 2012. They found that the takeaway's toilet chain had been broken, so staff had to put their hands into the cistern to flush the toilet. They then returned to making pizzas without being able to wash their hands in hot water.

Other parts of the takeaway were also filthy - including the sink, oven, freezer and a storage area.

According to the Daily Mail, The owner, Abbas Salimi admitted nine breaches of food hygiene rules. He said he had since installed a boiler and completed a food hygiene qualification. He added: "I am working closely with Environmental Health and have a level three certificate, in March Health and Safety visited and they were very happy."

Huge fines

The size of the fine reflected the seriousness of the offences. However, this is far from the worst example, or the biggest fine. There have been some enormous fines over the years:

In February 2009, Chester's Chicken and Pizza, on Coy Nook in Blackburn was fined £27,000 after an inspection found 126 cockroaches in the kitchen - including two dead ones stuck to the door seal of the fridge.

In January 2010 the former owners of the Golden Palace Chinese restaurant in Beelleek, Fermanagh were fined £10,000 for a number of failures, including raw chicken defrosting in a filthy sink, dirty cookers, and poor washing facilities. Swabs sent for testing contained e.coli and salmonella.

In April 2010, the owner of the Kashmir King takeaway in Whalley Range, Manchester was fined £25,000 for a number of offences, including a mouse infestation, filthy toilets and dangerous electrics.

In December last year it was the owner of the New Chutney Express in Tooting, South London, who was fined £20,000 for a string of hygiene offences, including a rat infestation. He even battered a rat to death in front of inspectors.

And in March this year the owner of Peter Pan Pizza at Bury Old Road, Salford was banned from ever running a takeaway after a variety of bugs were found crawling all over his kitchen and in the food - despite repeated visits and warnings from environmental health.

10 consumer rights you should know

10 consumer rights you should know

More stories