The Fixer: Expat card confusion

The Fixer logo Have you been left out of pocket due to poor service or sharp practice? Do you have a money problem that won't go away?

It can seem impossible to get a fair result when you are battling a financial issue alone. But never fear! The AOL Money Fixer is here to help.

Dear Fixer,
I have been living in the United Arab Emirates for two years now. My problem is that my debit card has since expired, and my bank RBS refuses to send my new one to me.

I went into my local branch the last time I was in the UK to give the bank my new details so that it could send a new card to me.

But RBS claims to have lost the details I gave at that point and, despite me offering to send my passport details - or any other ID they need - and contacting RBS via its website several times, I can't get anyone to respond to my complaint.

And all this time I have money in the account that I am unable to access. Can you help?

R Blakeman, United Arab Emirates

Dear Mr Blakeman,

Following my intervention, your new RBS debit card should be with you by the end of the week.

Apparently, the problem was that, because the address the bank had on file for you was marked "gone away" because previous correspondence had been returned to your branch, a written request was required to update your address to your current one in United Arab Emirates.

And as your branch lost your address details when you went in to change them, this was still the case despite your visit.

An RBS spokeswoman said: "Unfortunately, if the branch can't locate the notification, then we need him to send it again so there is clear authorisation of his address change for our audit purposes.

"This is for security reasons, which we can't bypass for the customer to make these changes by fax, or over the phone."

I have been informed that, as well as processing your card, the manager of your branch is going to contact you to apologise for the inconvenience caused.

For the future, however, you may want to consider setting yourself up for online banking so that you can change your details over the internet.

The Fixer

Whatever your financial problem, write to and The AOL Money Fixer will get on the case.