- It's an old winter sun favourite and Barbados is the classic Caribbean island for a beach holiday. It's only eight hours away and temperatures reach up to 29 degrees in January with 10 hours of sunshine a day. The island is the culinary capital of the Caribbean, there are spectacular diving sites and the beaches are idyllic. Tropical Sky offers seven nights' all-inclusive holidays at the three-star Butterfly Beach from £949 in January.
- Winter is a great time to visit Florida's famous parks as there are good deals and no queues for the rides like during the busy summer holidays. Get wet at SeaWorld Orlando and up-close to the park's sharks, killer whales and walruses. Busch Gardens is ideal for thrill-seekers and has some of the world's best rollercoasters. Aquatica boasts unique water rides and animal encounters and Discovery Cove gives you exclusive access to animals, allowing you to swim with dolphins, giant rays and tropical fish.
Take to the sea this January and experience 14 days of sun on an adults-only cruise to the Canary Islands and Portugal with P&O Cruises. Oriana calls at Madeira, La Palma, Lanzarote, Tenerife, Lisbon, Gran Canaria and La Gomera. Explore volcanic peaks, lush rainforests and traditional villages on the Canary Islands winter cruise, which costs from £699 per person full board.
Fancy spending a week on the beach this winter? The Cape Verde islands are located 500km off the coast of West Africa and share African and Portuguese influences. They're not as touristy as the Canary Islands and have gorgeous beaches in Sal and Boa Vista. Cape Verde is also a paradise for surfers, hikers and divers. Sunshine.co.uk offers holidays to Cape Verde in Sal, Boa Vista, Santiago and Sao Vicente.
- January is a great time to visit Hawaii, when it's winter but the average temperature is 27 degrees! Whale watching season is in full swing, the mountains are at their greenest and there are big waves on the North Shore of Oahu. You'll also find some exciting festivals taking place in January, including Chinese New Year celebrations and the Maui Whale Festival. Travelsupermarket compares holiday deals in Hawaii and offers seven-night trips leaving on 25 January from £926 per person.
With temperatures nearing an unbearable 50 degrees in summer, January is the ideal month to hit Dubai, when you can escape the cold UK weather and enjoy sunnier climes. If you're a shopaholic, the annual Dubai Shopping Festival takes place from 5 January until 5 February. Around the city, there are great golf clubs, stunning beaches and a buzzing nightlife scene.Try this: British Airways offers holidays in Dubai in January from £575 per person for three nights.
- Whether you're a beach bum or an adventure-seeker, Lanzarote in the Canary Islands is a great place to go in the UK winter months when it has warm weather. The end of January sees the 4 Stage Off Road Mountain Bike Race take place so if you're looking for an active break you can enjoy four days of cycling around the island. Other things to see and do include taking a wine tour, water sports and exploring the Timanfaya National Park. Vintage Travel offers a range of villas with pools in Lanzarote.
- Winter in Miami, Florida means warm temperatures, vibrant nightlife and events like the Miami Marathon. Go shopping in Miami Beach's Lincoln Road Mall, spend an afternoon people-watching on South Beach and get buff on the beach with volleyball and Frisbee. Try this: North America Travel Services is offering three nights at EPIC, Miami and four nights at Vero Beach Hotel and Spa from £1,338 per person. including flights and car hire from January 2014. Call 0845 122 8899 or visit www.northamericatravelservice.co.uk.
- South Africa's Southern Cape offers exactly what most of us want in a January getaway - a dry, warm and lively atmosphere! The lovely weather makes the Winelands, beaches and Garden Route a treat. From mid-January to mid-February you can see a Shakespeare play at the open-air theatre, Maynardville, too. Try this: Explore offers a 13-night South African adventure which takes in the Winelands, Cape Town and Tsitisikamma National Park, from £1,790 including flights. Visit explore.co.uk or call 0845 2914541.
- Patagonia in Chile, aka the Eighth Wonder of the World, is a treat at any time of year because of its abundance of activities but its warmest months are January and February when you can enjoy horse riding, kayaking and bird watching. The Torres del Paine National Park is one of South America's most beautiful parks,with breathtaking scenery, dramatic walking trails and wildlife. Try this: The five-star deluxe Awasi Patagonia (www.awasipatagonia.cl) which opened in 2013 is a chic retreat located within a private reserve, boasting unrivalled views of the Torres del Paine and Lake Sarmiento with 12 luxury villas. Book with newly launched Latin American specialist miravivatravel.com with prices starting from £1,300 based on a three-night programme on an all inclusive basis.