Warm Ravioli Salad with Beetroot
- Preparation time
- 10 minutes
- Cooking time
- 12 minutes
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 500 g (1 lb) fresh spinach and ricotta ravioli
- 375 g (12 oz) cooked beetroot in natural juices, drained and diced
- 2 tablespoons capers in brine, rinsed and drained
- 2 tablespoons good-quality aged balsamic vinegar
- mixed bitter salad leaves, such as chicory, radicchio, rocket and frisée
- parsley sprigs
- basil leaves
- fresh pecorino cheese shavings (optional)
Heat 2 tablespoons of the oil in a large frying pan over a medium heat, add the onions and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, for 10 minutes until golden.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to the packet instructions until al dente. Drain and gently toss with the remaining oil.
Add the beetroot, capers and vinegar to the onions and garlic in the pan and heat through. Stir into the pasta. Transfer to a large bowl, including all the juices from the pan, and leave to cool for 5 minutes.
Arrange the ravioli in serving bowls or on plates with the salad leaves and herbs. Serve with a scattering of pecorino shavings, if you like.