Veggie Scotch Eggs
- Preparation time
- 25 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time
- 10 minutes
- 6 eggs
- 1 tablespoon sunflower oil, plus 1 litre (1¾ pints) for deep-frying
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 400 g (13 oz) can red kidney beans, drained and rinsed, then drained again well
- 400 g (13 oz) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed, then drained again well
- finely grated rind and juice of ½ lemon
- 1 tablespoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon chopped flat leaf parsley
- 50 g (2 oz) plain flour
- 100 g (3½ oz) fresh white breadcrumbs
- salt and black pepper
- salad leaves, to serve
Cook 4 of the eggs in a saucepan of boiling water for 6 minutes. Drain, then cool under cold running water and drain again. Leave to cool completely and shell.
Meanwhile, heat the 1 tablespoon oil in a frying pan, add the onion and carrot and cook over a medium heat for 3–4 minutes until softened. Transfer to a large bowl.
Place the kidney beans, chickpeas, lemon rind and juice and garam masala in a food processor and process until smooth. Add to the onion and carrot with the parsley and mix together. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Beat the remaining eggs together lightly in a small bowl. Tip the flour and breadcrumbs into 2 separate bowls. Mould one-quarter of the chickpea mixture around each egg. Coat in the flour, then the beaten egg and finally the breadcrumbs.
Heat the oil for deep-frying in a deep-fat fryer or deep saucepan to 180–190°C (350–375°F), or until a cube of bread browns in 60 seconds. Deep-fry the eggs for 2–3 minutes until golden. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on kitchen paper. Serve warm or cold with mixed salad leaves.