Potato, Chicken, Bacon and Thyme Gratin
- Cooking time
- 30 minutes
- 500 g (1 lb) potatoes (not peeled), thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 chicken breasts, each about 150 g (5 oz), thinly sliced
- 6 back bacon rashers, thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons thyme leaves
- 300 ml (1/2 pint) double cream
- 5 tablespoons freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- salt and pepper
- Cook the potatoes in a large saucepan of lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes until just tender, then drain.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a large, heavy-based frying pan and cook the onion, chicken and bacon over a high heat, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until cooked through.
- Layer the potatoes in a large, shallow gratin dish with the chicken, bacon, onion and a scattering of thyme leaves, ending with a layer of potatoes. Season the cream with a little salt and pepper and pour over the potatoes. Scatter over the Parmesan and cook under a preheated hot grill for 4–5 minutes until the topping is golden and the cream bubbling. Serve with a simple green salad.