Phillipino Chicken Curry
- Preparation time
- 10 minutes, plus marinating
- Cooking time
- 40–50 minutes
- 750 g (1½ lb) skinless, boneless chicken thighs
- 2 tablespoons medium curry powder (see
- 1 tablespoon groundnut oil
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 onion, sliced
- 4 small tomatoes, chopped
- 400 ml (14 fl oz) reduced-fat coconut milk
- 250 ml (8 fl oz) chicken stock
- 3 potatoes, peeled and quartered
Place the chicken in a non-metallic bowl and sprinkle over the curry powder. Toss to mix well and marinate in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
Heat the oil in a large saucepan over a medium-high heat. Add the garlic, onion and tomatoes, and fry for 3–4 minutes. Add the marinated chicken and stir-fry for 4–5 minutes.
Add the coconut milk, stock and potatoes and season to taste. Bring to the boil, reduce the heat to medium-low and simmer gently for 30–40 minutes until the chicken is tender. Serve hot with rice and pickles.