Mexican-Style Pasta Salad
- Cooking time
- 30 minutes
- 250 g (8 oz) pasta shapes, such as twists
- 1 red pepper, cored, deseeded and halved
- 1 orange pepper, cored, deseeded and halved
- 200 g (7 oz) cooked Cajun-style chicken, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 220 g (7 1/2 oz) can mixed chilli beans
- 1 avocado, chopped
- handful of fresh coriander leaves, roughly chopped
- 150 ml (1/4 pint) soured cream
- finely grated rind and juice of 1 lime
- 1/2 teaspoon Cajun seasoning mix
- Cook the pasta in lightly salted boiling water for about 10 minutes until just tender. Drain, rinse under cold running water and drain again.
- Meanwhile, put the peppers under a hot grill for 8–10 minutes, turning once until softened and the skin is beginning to char. Transfer the peppers to a bowl, cover with clingfilm and leave for 5 minutes.
- Make the dressing. Mix together the soured cream, lime rind and juice and Cajun seasoning.
- Transfer the drained pasta to a large salad bowl. Add the cooked chicken, beans, avocado and coriander. Remove the skins from the peppers, roughly chop the flesh and add to the salad. Drizzle over the dressing and lightly toss together.