Mandarin and Vanilla Seed Brownies
- Cooking time
- 30 minutes
- 175 (6 oz) butter
- 200 g (7 oz) plain or orange-flavoured dark chocolate, broken into pieces
- 3 large eggs
- seeds from 1 vanilla pod
- 75 g (3 oz) dark soft brown sugar
- 100 g (3½ oz) caster sugar
- 75 g (3 oz) self-raising flour
- 298 g (10 oz) can mandarin segments in juice, drained
- Line a 23 cm (9 inch) square cake tin with baking paper, allowing it to stand a bit above the edges.
- Warm the butter and chocolate in a small pan over a low heat, stirring occasionally, until just melted. Set aside.
- Meanwhile, put the eggs, vanilla seeds and sugars into a large bowl and beat until thick and pale. Sift in the flour, mix well, then stir in the melted chocolate.
- Fill the prepared tin with the brownie mixture and sprinkle the mandarin segments over the top.
- Bake in a preheated oven, 190˚C (375˚F), Gas Mark 5, for about 20 minutes, or until just firm to the touch but with a slightly fudgy texture. Cool slightly in the tin, then lift on to a board and cut into squares to serve.