Honeyed Fig Cakes
- Preparation time
- 20 minutes
- Cooking time
- 15 minutes
- 100 g (3½ oz) lightly salted butter, softened, plus extra for greasing
- 100 g (3½ oz) caster sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100 g (3½ oz) ground almonds
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- 25 g (1 oz) self-raising flour, sifted
- finely grated rind of 1 lemon
- 3 figs, quartered
- 3 tablespoons clear honey
- 1½ tablespoons lemon juice
Grease and line the bases of 10 dariole moulds, each with a capacity of 100 ml (3½ fl oz), with circles of greaseproof paper.
Put the butter, sugar, eggs, ground almonds, almond extract, flour and lemon rind in a bowl and beat with a hand-held electric whisk until smooth and creamy. Divide among the dariole moulds. Rest a fig quarter on the centre of each sponge mixture.
Bake in a preheated oven, 200°C (400°F), Gas Mark 6, for about 15 minutes until just firm. Leave to cool in the moulds, then loosen the edges and transfer to a plate.
Mix together the honey and lemon juice and spoon over the figs.