Frying Pan Macaroni Cheese
- 325 g (11 oz) macaroni
- 50 g (2 oz) butter
- 50 g (2 oz) plain flour
- 600 ml (1 pint) milk
- 100 g (3 1/2 oz) Cheddar cheese, grated
- 25 g (1 oz) dried white breadcrumbs
- 25 g (1 oz) Parmesan cheese, grated
- salt and pepper
- Cook the pasta in a large saucepan of salted boiling water according to the pack instructions until al dente.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a large, ovenproof frying pan and stir in the flour to make a smooth paste. Cook until golden, then gradually whisk in the milk. Bring to the boil over a medium heat, then simmer for about 3 minutes until slightly thickened. Remove from the heat, stir in the cheese and season.
- Drain the pasta, then tip into the frying pan. Stir into the cheese sauce until well combined. Scatter over the breadcrumbs and Parmesan.
- Place in a preheated oven, 190°C (375°F), Gas Mark 5, for 15 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling.