Easy Coconut & Chocolate Cakes
- Preparation time
- 20 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time
- 30 minutes
- 75 g (3 oz) sweetened shredded tenderized coconut
- 175 g (6 oz) self-raising flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 175 g (6 oz) golden caster sugar
- 3 large eggs, lightly beaten
- 175 g (6 oz) butter, melted
- 200 g (7 oz) milk chocolate
Reserve one-third of the coconut and put the rest in a large bowl. Add the flour, baking powder, sugar, eggs and melted butter. Mix together well until smooth.
Grease and line the base of 8 heart-shaped moulds, approximately 5 cm (2 inch) in diameter. Spoon the mixture into the moulds and bake in a preheated oven, 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4, for 20 minutes until the cakes are risen and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean. Turn on to a wire rack to cool, placing the rack over a baking sheet.
Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan of simmering water (see
Sprinkle over the reserved coconut to decorate and allow to set before serving.