Date Chocolate Torte
- Preparation time
- 10 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time
- 30 minutes
- 100 g (3½ oz) flaked almonds
- 125 g (4 oz) plain dark chocolate, roughly chopped
- 125 g (4 oz) dried ready-to-eat dates, pitted
- 3 egg whites
- 125 g (4 oz) caster sugar, plus 2 tablespoons for the topping
- 125 ml (4 fl oz) whipping cream
- cocoa powder, to sprinkle
Grease a 23 cm (9 inch) springform tin and line with nonstick baking paper. Put the almonds and chocolate in a food processor and pulse until finely chopped. Finely chop the dates with a knife.
Whisk the egg whites in a large, perfectly clean bowl until soft peaks form. Slowly add the 125 g (4 oz) sugar and continue whisking until it has dissolved. Fold in the almond and chocolate mixture, then the dates. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and level the surface.
Bake in a preheated oven, 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4, for 30 minutes or until set and starting to come away from the side. Leave to cool in the tin before carefully turning out on to a serving plate.
Whip the cream and the remaining 2 tablespoons sugar in a small bowl until soft peaks form. Using a spatula, spread the cream evenly over the top of the torte. Serve cut into thin slices and dusted with cocoa.