Cranberry Mincemeat with Port
- Preparation time
- 20 minutes, plus standing
- Cooking time
- 5 minutes
- 250 g (8 oz) cranberries
- 1 large cooking apple (about 375 g/12 oz), peeled, cored and diced
- 3 tablespoons water
- 500 g (1 lb) bag luxury mixed dried fruit
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- 200 g (7 oz) soft light brown sugar
- 125 g (4 oz) shredded vegetable suet
- grated rind of 1 orange
- 125 ml (4 fl oz) ruby port
Put the cranberries and apple into a saucepan with the measurement water and cook, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the fruits are softened but still holding their shape. Leave to cool in the pan.
Put the dried fruit into a large bowl and mix in the remaining ingredients. Stir in the cooked fruit, then cover the bowl with clingfilm and leave to stand overnight.
Stir the mincemeat mixture, then pack into warm, dry jars. Cover with screw-top lids, or with waxed discs and cellophane tops secured with elastic bands. Label and store in a cool, dark place to mature for 3–4 weeks before using.
To serve, use as a filling for mince pies.