Berry Compote with Syllabub Cream
- Preparation time
- 20 minutes, plus cooling
- Cooking time
- 1½–2 hours
- 500 g (1 lb) strawberries, halved or quartered if large
- 200 g (7 oz) blueberries
- grated rind and juice of 1 lemon
- 3 tablespoons caster sugar
- 3 tablespoons water
- 150 ml (¼ pint) double cream
- 2 tablespoons caster sugar
- grated rind of ½ lemon
- 2 tablespoons dry white wine
- lemon rind curls or small herb or pansy flowers, to decorate (optional)
Preheat the slow cooker if necessary; see the manufacturer's instructions. Put the fruit, lemon rind and juice, sugar and water into the slow cooker pot. Cover with the lid and cook on low for 1½–2 hours or until the fruit is tender but still holds its shape.
Lift the pot out of the housing using oven gloves and leave the compote to cool. Just before serving, make the syllabub. Pour the cream into a bowl, add the sugar and lemon rind and whisk until it forms soft swirls. Add the white wine and whisk for a further 1–2 minutes or until thick again.
Spoon the fruit into tall champagne-style glasses and top with spoonfuls of the cream. Decorate with small herb or pansy flowers, if liked, and serve immediately.