- Preparation time
- 10 minutes
- Cooking time
- 20–22 minutes
- 200 g (7 oz) unbleached plain flour
- 35 g (1½ oz) bran
- 75 g (3 oz) soft dark brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- ½ teaspoon ground mixed spice (optional)
- 200 ml (7 fl oz) buttermilk
- 2½ tablespoons groundnut oil
- 2 large eggs, beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 small, very ripe bananas, peeled and mashed
Mix together the dry ingredients in a large bowl. Stir together the remaining ingredients in a separate bowl, then pour the wet ingredients on to the dry mixture and stir with a large metal spoon until just combined.
Spoon the mixture into a lightly greased large, 12-hole nonstick muffin tray, or alternatively, a 6-hole tray, and bake in a preheated oven, 180°C (350°F), Gas Mark 4, for 20–22 minutes or until risen and golden and a skewer inserted into the centres comes out clean.
Transfer to a wire rack to cool slightly. Serve the still-warm muffins with glasses of freshly squeezed fruit juice, if liked.