Five countries that charge a tourist tax
Follwoing the news that Venice will start to charge visitors for entering the city, where else in the world do you have to pay a surcharge for simiply being there?
1. Bhutan has a flat fee of $200 or $250 a day.
2. Japan has a $9.25 fee paid by international visitors as they leave the country.
3. France has a tourist tax added to hotel bills and it varies depending on where you are.
4. Germany has a similar system with a "culture tax" and "bed tax" in cities like Frankfurt.
5. In Italy Rome has a fee of $3.40 to $7.94 a night, depending on the type of room.