2 cloves garlic
¼ cup balsamic vinegar
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1½ cups cranberries, divided
8 pieces chicken (thighs, drumsticks or a mixture)
Nonstick spray, as needed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme, plus extra sprigs for finishing
1 tablespoon chopped fresh rosemary, plus extra sprigs for finishing
1. In the bowl of a food processor or blender, process the garlic, balsamic vinegar, olive oil, soy sauce and ½ cup of the cranberries until smooth.
2. Place the chicken pieces in a large zip-top plastic bag and pour the marinade over the chicken. Close the bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
3. Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Lightly grease a large oven-safe skillet or casserole dish with nonstick spray.
4. Remove the chicken from the bag, reserving the marinade. Place the chicken pieces in the skillet or dish, skin side down, and season with salt, pepper, thyme and rosemary. Sprinkle the remaining 1 cup cranberries around the pan.
5. Roast the chicken until the skin begins to brown and the meat is nearly cooked through, 20 to 25 minutes. Flip the chicken and brush each piece generously with the reserved marinade. Discard the remaining marinade.
6. Raise the oven temperature to 218 degrees Celsius and cook until the chicken skin is crispy, 5 to 8 more minutes. Serve immediately.