How to chop an onion
The basis of many savoury dishes from curries to casseroles, onions are incredibly versatile.
Onion slicing is one of the most important cooking skills because many soups, stews and sauces start with this technique.
Points to remember
- Chop the top off the onion and cut in half leaving the root attached
- Peel the skin away, discarding the brown layers, until you are left with the white onion halves
- Make 2 or 3 horizontal cuts into the first onion half, then cut down vertically, holding the onion together as you chop
- Repeat with the other half.
- Turn the onion so the flat end is facing the knife and chop downwards with a slicing motion to create a finely chopped onion
- When you get to the end turn the onion on its side and cut again to finish