How to make roasted Brussels sprouts with parmesan sauce
Ingredients for the Brussels sprouts
680 grams Brussels sprouts, trimmed and halved
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 tablespoon lemon juice
4 strips cooked bacon
1 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
Ingredients for creamy parmesan sauce
15 grams unsalted butter
2 large garlic cloves, pressed through garlic press
1 1/2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup whole milk
2/3 cups shredded parmesan cheese
1/4 cup panko breadcrumbs
Pinch granulated garlic
2 teaspoons olive oil
1.5 tsp rosemary
1. Preheat the oven to 205 Celsius, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Toss the Brussels sprouts with the oil, a pinch of salt and pepper, and the lemon juice, and roast until golden and tender, about 25-30 minutes.
2. While Brussels sprouts roast, prepare your sauce: place a medium-size sauce pan over medium-low heat, and add in the butter and the garlic; once butter is melted and garlic is aromatic, sprinkle in the flour and whisk to blend to make a smooth paste, or "roux", and cook that for about 30 seconds; gradually add in the milk, whisking all the while to avoid lumps, and bring to a vigorous simmer, whisking occasionally; reduce the heat and allow the milk mixture to gently simmer for a few minutes to thicken up; turn off the heat, add the parmesan and whisk that in until smooth; check to see if additional salt is needed; set aside.
3. Prepare breadcrumbs by combining the ingredients in a small bowl, and set aside.
4. To finish, turn your oven on to "broil"; add your roasted Brussels sprouts to a shallow, oven-safe baking dish in a single layer, and crumble over about half of your chopped bacon; drizzle the creamy parmesan sauce over top, then sprinkle over the panko breadcrumbs, and broil for several minutes until everything is golden-brown and crisp.
5. Finish the dish by sprinkling over the rest of the bacon, as well as the thyme leaves, and serve.