Cycle insurance guide

Road bicycle on city street, cycling in summer nature

We insure our homes, our cars, our holidays and our pets – but many people don't think to get insurance for their two-wheeled pride and joy. In many cases this is just common sense as the average selling price for a bike in the UK is only a little over £200 – but of course cyclists can (all too) easily spend 10 times that amount on a single bike. Serious cyclists could have £10,000 or more worth of equipment in their garage – and with bikes being an ever-popular target for burglars it's silly not to have some kind of cover.

Aren't they covered on my home insurance?
They might be, but probably not. If it's not clear from the documents you have, give your provider a ring and check it out with them. You may be able to add your required cover for an extra fee.

What about other home cover providers?
If you're switching cover anyway, it certainly makes sense to look for a policy with the kind of cover you need for your bike(s). Some providers have a good reputation among cyclists. John Lewis, Marks & Spencer the NFU and the AA have all been praised by customers for bike-friendly policies – but details can change over time so always check the specifics if you are given a recommendation.

Specialist broker Pedalcover can also offer you a tailor-made policy taking into account your specific requirements. It's also important to find out if you will have away-from-home cover, and if it covers you for the kind of circumstances in which you're likely to leave your bike.

Does dedicated bike insurance make sense?
It does for some people – and it's a growing sector of the insurance market. Providers such as Cycleplan, Protect Your Bubble, Cycleguard and Insure My Bicycle will provide a quote tailored to your needs, which will often offer more comprehensive cover than home insurance. The downside is that it will also usually cost more – plus there's the additional admin time and effort.

What about liability and legal cover insurance?
Read the news and you'd be forgiven for thinking that you're dicing with death riding on Britain's roads. In reality cycling is claimed to be just as safe as walking, but it still makes sense to have some form of cover for road traffic collisions – especially if you're going to be commuting or doing a lot of urban riding.

British Cycling and the CTC are the two biggest mass-membership organisations for cyclists in the UK, and both offer third party insurance and legal cover as part of their membership fee. Legal cover means that solicitors will act on your behalf if you are knocked off your bike by a driver. Adult membership is from £33 for BC and £41.50 for the CTC – with each also bringing additional benefits and discounts as well.

Both organisations also offer bike insurance for an additional cost. It's also possible to obtain standalone liability and/or legal cover from insurers such as those mentioned in the section above.

Are you happy with your cycle insurance? Leave a comment below...

Cycling in the Netherlands