Buried in the middle of last week's Top Gear was an assertion by Clarkson that the summer months were the most dangerous time of the year to drive a car due to the distraction created by women in short skirts.
Many of us nodded in sage agreement, and moved on with our weekend, but someone at insurance company Sheilas Wheels decided that this idea was worth confirming with a pretty pointless survey.
In fact, the only surprise came in the numbers. The research showed that 29 percent of men admitted to being distracted by women during the summer - so what were the other 71 percent looking at?
Perhaps it was the same thing that caught the attention of 97 percent of women, as only 3 percent confessed to being distracted by men in their summer attire.
Slightly more controversial than the survey was Clarkson's story about being distracted by a woman wearing a full burka.
"I was in a cab in Piccadilly the other day when a woman in a full burka crossing the road in front of me tripped over the pavement, went head over heels and up it came, red g-string and stockings. I promise that happened. The taxi driver will back me up on that," he told May and Hammond.