Kim Kardashian melts her M&Ms in the microwave – but is it actually safe?

SANTA MONICA, CALIFORNIA - NOVEMBER 10: Kim Kardashian attends the 2019 E! People's Choice Awards at Barker Hangar on November 10, 2019 in Santa Monica, California. (Photo by Rodin Eckenroth/WireImage)
Kim Kardashian attends the 2019 E! People's Choice Awards on 10 November. [Photo: Getty]

Kim Kardashian’s love of melting M&Ms in the microwave has caused a storm on Twitter.

The reality star, 39, shared a video on her Twitter account in which she enthuses about the “melted magic” that occurs when you melt the sugar-coated sweets using this method.

In the short clip, which has 2.5 million views at time of writing, she picks up various colours of M&M sweets and squeezes them so that the melted chocolate oozes out the centre.

READ MORE: Kim Kardashian wears bizarre skintight leather chaps and jeans combo

For the most part, her fans have been all for the trick.

But, not everyone is on board.

A number complained that the cooking technique has resulted in sparks from their appliance.

While many have tried the microwave M&Ms trick without peril, a number of people have flagged a similar issue on Reddit and on the StackExchange forum – specifically with peanut butter M&Ms.

So is Kardashian’s trick safe? We asked Dr Sue Bailey, a food science consultant, to give her advice on how to safety heat the confectionary.

She told Yahoo UK it can be done safely – but you will need to take a few precautions.

First, only put the sweets in the microwave for 15 seconds, rather than Kardashian’s recommended 30.

“Any food that is sugar based can reach a very high temperature really quickly in a microwave.

READ MORE: Kim Kardashian accused of 'hypocrisy' after selling 'knock-off' Emilio Pucci sunglasses

“So if you are going to try this ‘life changing’ chocolate snacking tip- try for 15 seconds on full power first - spread out a number on a plate or kitchen paper. Then check that you are not going to burn your fingers.

She added: “Don’t try and crunch them straight away in your mouth- you might burn your tongue.”

Addressing the rumoured risk of M&Ms sparking in your microwave, Bailey says while you should be safe with the normal variety, there’s a possibility it could happen with peanut ones.

“That’s due to the higher fat content in the peanuts,” she explained.

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo Style UK: