Bafta suspends special prize for TV Awards following Noel Clarke accusations

Noel Clarke at the Bafta ceremony in April. (Getty)
Noel Clarke at the Bafta ceremony in April. (Getty)

Bafta has announced they will not give out special individual prizes during the upcoming TV Awards.

The ceremony, which will air on Sunday, will be the first time in the show’s history that prizes of this calibre are removed.

Bafta made the decision after filmmaker and actor Noel Clarke, 45, received an outstanding contribution award in April, despite the organisation being aware of on-set bullying and sexual harassment claims made against him.

Watch: Entertainment industry pens open letter calling for change following allegations against actor

Read More: Bafta TV 2021 snubs and surprises: Emma Corrin, 'Bake Off' and 'Britain’s Got Talent'

Clarke has vehemently denied the allegations, but has since been stripped of the award, and suspended by Bafta.

The organisation has now announced all awards not voted for by an industry panel are on hold for the foreseeable future.

Actor Noel Clarke attends the World Premiere of “Thor: The Dark World” in Leicester Square, London, on Tuesday Oct. 22, 2013. (Photo by Jon Furniss/Invision/AP Images)
Clarke has 'vehemently denied' all accusations made against him. (Invision/AP Images)

A Bafta spokesperson said: “We have recently announced that we are conducting a review of the processes governing awards that are in the gift of the academy, so we have temporarily paused the special awards and fellowships and they will not feature in this Sunday's ceremony.”

More than 20 women came forward with allegations surrounding Clarke, for a report subsequently published by The Guardian.

At the time, Bafta received criticism for knowing about the allegations, but nonetheless handing out the award to Clarke, whose work includes Kidulthood, Doctor Who, and Bulletproof.

Read More: Michaela Coel 'stands with' the women who have made allegations against Noel Clarke

They defended the decision and said in a statement that the claims they had been made aware of were “either anonymous or second or third-hand accounts via intermediaries".

The Bafta TV Awards will be held on Sunday. (PA)
The Bafta TV Awards will be held on Sunday. (PA)

"No first-hand allegations were sent to us," it said. "No names, times, dates, productions or other details were ever provided.

"Had the victims gone on record as they have with the Guardian, the award would have been suspended immediately."

Read More: Sky cancels 'Bulletproof' after Noel Clarke allegations

In a statement in response to the claims against him, Clarke said: “In a 20-year career, I have put inclusivity and diversity at the forefront of my work and never had a complaint made against me.

“If anyone who has worked with me has ever felt uncomfortable or disrespected, I sincerely apologise.

“I vehemently deny any sexual misconduct or wrongdoing and intend to defend myself against these false allegations.”

Watch: BAFTA defends decision to present actor with outstanding contribution to British cinema award