Dog owners are being urged to think twice before taking their dogs in hot cars after a TV presenter's pets both died from heatstroke.
Katherine Higgins, who has been on Antiques Roadshow and Put Your Money Where Your Mouth Is, shared the news on social media that both her Labradors -Monty and Daisy - had died.
The Sun claims Higgins and her husband Thomas took the dogs for a walk, then placed them back in the car for the journey home. Soon after arriving home however, they died from overheating.
Campaigns officer for the Dogs Trust, Jon Gerlis, told The Times: "It is rare for dogs to die in cars but what tends to happen is dogs can get very sick from cases of heatstroke and so long-term effects are not always apparent. Sometimes it is only in the next few days or weeks or even longer they become erratic."
He went on to explain that dogs begin to suffer in hot cars within minutes and urged people to consider if they need to travel with their dog. If so, they should drive at cooler times and try to avoid traffic jams on congested roads.
Battersea Dogs and Cats Home also appealed to pet owners about traveling with their dogs in hot cars for long periods of time.
Nathalie Ingham, senior behaviourist at the centre, said: "Travel in a hot car affects dogs much more than humans. Dogs can't cool themselves down by sweating like humans can."
According to The Times, the RSCPA responded to a staggering 263 dogs with heat exposure during the weekend.