Apprentice mechanic showered with sparks refuses to wear safety goggles

Updated: 


A trainee mechanic has been filmed being showered with sparks while cutting a metal bolt without any safety equipment.

The dangerous incident was filmed in a garage in Glasgow by the man's colleague Martin Kane. At the start of the video, the apprentice, referred to as Abdul, sticks his middle finger up at the camera.

He can be seen placing a large bolt in a vice before getting out an angle grinder. Not only is he not wearing safety goggles, his equipment doesn't have a guard to direct the sparks away from him either.

Instead, he is showered with sparks and simply closes his eyes for protection.

Kane, 29, said the apprentice had little regard for health and safety, before adding: "I tried to explain to him to turn the part round so sparks go the other way."