Biker claims pickled eggs were to blame for failed breath test

Updated: 


A motorcyclist says that eating 'six or seven' pickled eggs caused him to register above the legal alcohol limit after crashing his motorbike.

Lee Vaschez, 40, had been at a friend's house prior to the accident on December 19 and claimed that he had eaten six or seven of the vinegar-soaked eggs.

He was riding his Ducati motorbike home when he claimed he was dazzled by the headlights of an oncoming motorist, causing him to misjudge a right-hand turn and hit the kerb.

Police were called to the scene and a breath test revealed that the chef was almost twice the legal limit. He had 68 microgrammes of alcohol in 100 millilitres of breath – the limit is 35.

Paul Booty, defending, said that the snacks were one of Vaschez's favourite foods and he had eaten a number of them without realising the high alcohol content.

In court, Booty said: "Unfortunately, as well as pickling fluid there was alcohol in there as well."

Wayne Ablett, prosecuting, said that when police arrived there was a lorry parked nearby with its headlights on.

Appearing in Suffolk Magistrates' Court, Vaschez also admitted to having a 'couple of shandies' earlier in the day.

Vaschez was banned from driving for 18 months, fined £340 and was ordered to pay £85 costs and £34 to the victims' fund.