A classic Aston Martin DB4 that looks almost beyond repair could fetch as much as £180,000 when it goes under the hammer next month.
The model is incredibly significant in the history of the luxury car manufacturer, as it was the first car of the David Brown era that neither used a chassis derived from the experimental Atom of 1939 nor an engine designed by W O Bentley.
The gorgeous design was also totally new and was the first time Aston had used Carrozzeria Touring's 'Superleggera' bodywork. Lightweight alloy panels were beaten to shape at the company's factory in Newport Pagnell, before being fixed to light-gauge steel tubes welded to the chassis.
To give the car true racing pedigree, the engine was a 3.7-litre six-cylinder unit that had made its debut at Le Mans in 1957. There, it powered the DBR2 race car.
Over the course of the 1958 to 1963 production run, the DB4 unofficially went through five different series. At the time, these were just seen as constant upgrades, but the Aston Martin Owners Club has subsequently split the car into separate generations.
It is chassis number '718/R' and has the engine number '370/199'. Its original purchase form indicates that it was bought by Mr B Carlaw and was delivered in Elusive Blue with red Connolly hide interior trim.
In 1986 the car was bought by its current owner with the intention of restoring it, but when they went to work overseas the project stalled. It has been in dry storage ever since and is sold 'strictly as viewed'.