A Daimler DB18 Drophead Coupe used by Winston Churchill during the 1940s has sold at auction for an incredible £232,520.
Just eight were built in 1939 and this classic is the only surviving model. It has recently undergone an extensive £100,000 restoration by prestigious German classic car dealers and restorers, Eberhard Thiesen.
Chassis no.49531 was used by Daimler from 1940 to 1950 for special occasions, and twice during this period was lent to Churchill for his political campaigns – in 1944 and 1949.
Featuring an enlarged, 2,522cc version of the overhead-valve six first introduced in 1933 in Daimler Fifteen models, the DB18 was the first Daimler to benefit from independent suspension.
Meanwhile, its transmission comprised of Daimler's customary fluid flywheel, pre-selector gearbox and worm drive rear axle.
Of the eight versions that were built, five were destroyed during the Blitz when the Daimler factory in Coventry was demolished. This also brought a premature end to the car's production, with 23 cars originally planned to be built.
The other two have not survived the intervening years, leaving the DB18 Drophead Coupe a truly one-of-a-kind model.
Despite falling short by more than £17,000, the Daimler still gathered a huge amount of attention at Saturday's Coys-run auction at Churchill's birthplace, Blenheim Palace. An anonymous buyer from the US placed the winning bid.