Audi driver killed after crashing into double-decker was allegedly 'racing another car at 110mph'


London Bus Crash

The driver of a blue Audi A4 who died when his car collided with an N38 night bus in Clapton, east London in the early hours of Wednesday morning could have been racing another car at 110mph, according to the bus driver.

Delano Moore, 25, who died when his Audi collided head-on with the London bus, was carrying three passengers at the time of the accident, all of which are currently in a serious condition in hospital.

Ten people who were travelling on the N38 bus had to be treated at the scene as 'walking wounded', with some taken to a local hospital to be treated for their injuries.

A colleague of the bus driver, who suffered a suspected broken leg and a cut to his head in the accident, has spoken of how he saw two cars racing down Lea Bridge Road when one smashed head-on into the bus.

According to the Daily Mail, in a text to other bus drivers, the colleague said: "The N38 was travelling towards Walthamstow at 20mph.

"Two cars were racing at between 90mph and 110mph as the N38 was approaching an island.

"The gap was closing in as one car tried to take over another car, where the car went head on with the bus.

"One passenger in the car flew through the windscreen, the driver died and the passenger survived.

"The bus driver was left with a bleeding head, the car was demolished."

The Metropolitan police are yet to comment on the racing allegations but a Scotland Yard spokesman said: "Police were called at around 2.20am today to reports of a car in collision with a Route N38 bus in Lea Bridge Road with the junction of Essex Wharf.

"The male driver was pronounced dead at the scene of the collision. Another man who was in the car was taken to an east London hospital where his condition is described as critical."

"Two further men who were in the back of the car suffered injuries. They are in a serious but stable condition at an east London hospital. The four men are believed to be in their early to mid-twenties."

Mohamed, 52, a security guard at a Thames Water depot close to the scene, told the Evening Standard that his colleague heard a crash just after 2am: "He said it was so loud. He went out to look at what had happened. The whole front of the car was almost underneath the bus and it was panic and chaos.

"There were injured people in the road. He said seeing it all was very difficult. A lot of people are hurt and the emergency services were trying to save people in the car.

"There were police cars and ambulances everywhere. The car must have been coming in the opposite direction and must have lost control."