Leicester hit back to snatch late draw against Manchester United

Leicester fought back to draw 2-2 with Manchester United and stay second in the Premier League table.

Marcus Rashford put United ahead in Boxing Day’s early kick-off when he knocked home a cross from Bruno Fernandes after 23 minutes.

Harvey Barnes pulled the Foxes level in the 30th minute as he drilled a 20-yard effort past David De Gea.

In the 79th minute, Fernandes looked to have given United what would have been a record-equalling 11th consecutive away Premier League win after being played in by substitute Edinson Cavani.

Leicester, though, secured a share of the points with five minutes left when United defender Axel Tuanzebe diverted Jamie Vardy’s close-range effort into the net.

In Saturday’s 3pm kick-offs, Aston Villa overcame the dismissal of defender Tyrone Mings just before half-time to beat Crystal Palace 3-0 and move sixth in the table.

Bertrand Traore gave Villa an early lead when he turned home a rebound after Palace goalkeeper Vicente Guaita had saved Ollie Watkins’ shot from the edge of the area in the fifth minute.

Aston Villa’s Bertrand Traore celebrates scoring a goal
Aston Villa’s Bertrand Traore celebrates scoring a goal

Traore saw his angled effort come back off a post before referee Anthony Taylor then consulted the pitchside monitor following a VAR check on a potential Crystal Palace penalty at a corner but decided not to overturn his original decision and play continued.

Villa were reduced to 10 men just before half-time when England international Mings was shown a second yellow card for blocking Wilfried Zaha’s run.

Palace had been looking to respond from their 7-0 home defeat by champions Liverpool last weekend but fell further behind after 66 minutes.

Anwar El Ghazi’s free-kick was headed against the bar by Watkins and Kortney Hause nodded the ball over the line despite the efforts of Guaita.

El Ghazi then added a third with 14 minutes left following a swift counter-attack, with Watkins denied a late fourth as his shot hit a post.

It finishes all square at Craven Cottage. pic.twitter.com/CVEmblS2VB

— Southampton FC (@SouthamptonFC) December 26, 2020

Southampton saw a late goal from Theo Walcott ruled out by VAR for offside in the build-up as they drew 0-0 at relegation-battlers Fulham.

Saints went close in the first half when James Ward-Prowse’s 25-yard free-kick crashed against the crossbar, with the rebound spinning away from Che Adams as he tried to knock the ball in.

Fulham, looking to move out of the relegation zone, had a chance early in the second half when Ivan Cavaleiro headed over a cross from left-back Antonee Robinson.

Shane Long, leading the attack in place of injured Danny Ings, saw his half-volley tipped over by Fulham keeper Alphonse Areola and then had a goal chalked out for offside.

With five minutes left, Walcott looked to have secured a late winner, only for Adams to be ruled marginally offside in the build-up following a VAR review.