Seven injured after mass brawl at funeral involving 30 people

The violent incident took place in Coronation Square, Reading. (Google)
The violent incident took place in Coronation Square, Reading. (Google)

Seven people were injured after a mass brawl involving 30 people broke out after a funeral on Saturday night.

The fight started in Reading, Berkshire, shortly before midnight on Saturday following the wake of a local company boss.

Officers from Thames Valley Police were called to break up the violent episode which saw seven people suffer non life-threatening injuries and two cars involved in a collision.

A 31-year-old man from Reading has been arrested on suspicion of assault and drunk driving and dangerous driving.

General view of the sign outside Thames Valley Police Head Quarters.   (Photo by Tim Ockenden - PA Images/PA Images via Getty Images)
Thames Valley Police are appealing for information. (Getty)

A 29-year-old man from Wokingham has also been arrested on suspicion of affray.

Police imposed a section 60 order on the area, which was widened on Sunday morning, allowing them to stop and search people they suspected of being involved in the public disorder incidents.

The Section 60 will expire at midday on Sunday but it maybe extended further, and police are appealing for witnesses to come forward.

Detective Superintendent Rebecca Mears, said: “I have authorised for the extension of the Section 60 order in the Southcote area of Reading.

“This allows our officers greater powers of Stop and Search, and there will be an increased police presence to prevent any further disorder and provide reassurance to the wider public.

“Please don’t be worried if you are stopped by an officer, as this does not mean that you are in trouble.

Read more: Fight breaks out between shoppers in Tesco egg aisle during Remembrance Sunday two-minute silence

“Do not hesitate to speak to one of our officers with any concerns that you may have. They will be happy to address these with you and also offer any advice or reassurance.”

Senior investigating officer Detective Chief Inspector Matthew Darnell, said: “This was a large disorder involving a number of men.

“We are carrying out a thorough investigation and following a number of lines of enquiry and will be looking to trace anyone involved with this incident.

“We have made two arrests at this time in connection with this incident. They remain in custody at this time.

“We are appealing for anyone with witness information, CCTV or mobile phone footage to please come forward.

“Anyone with information should call 101 or report online quoting reference 43200420451 or if anyone wishes to report anonymously they can so by calling the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”

Watch the latest videos from Yahoo UK News