Former 'X Factor' contestant Ariel Burdett found dead at home with knife wound

Former X Factor contestant Ariel Burdett was found dead at her home with a knife wound, an inquest has heard.

Ariel Burdett, whose real name was Amy, was found dead at her home aged 38 on November 12. Police have confirmed her death was not being treated as suspicious.

An inquest today heard how employees of her landlord attended her house in Leeds, West Yorkshire, on November 4 after concerns were raised about her welfare.

Ms Burdett did not answer or respond to attempts to contact her and the employees returned to the house eight days later with a locksmith, Wakefield Coroner's Court heard.

Once inside the property, they found Ms Burdett laid on her back on her bed, with a six-inch knife next to her and blood on the carpet.

Ariel Burdett competed on The X Factor in 2008 (Credit: ITV)
Ariel Burdett competed on The X Factor in 2008 (Credit: ITV)

Pathologist Dr Lisa Barker issued a preliminary cause of death as an incised wound to the neck.

Ms Burdett had one of the hit ITV show’s most memorable auditions when she appeared on the show in 2008.

She clashed with judges Cheryl Tweedy and Simon Cowell and ripped off her ID number when she came on declaring, 'I am not a number, I am a human being'.

A video of the talent show trial, which was her dubbed "the world's angriest woman", has been viewed more than three million times online.

During her appearance 11 years ago, she told Simon Cowell, Dannii Minogue, Cheryl Tweedy and Louis Walsh she was a “holistic vocal coach”.

Read more: James Arthur quits Twitter over abuse and trolling

She clashed with the judges and branded Cheryl Tweedy "stupid".

Coroner Jonathan Leach adjourned the inquest until a later date, which has not yet been set.

No family members were present during the brief hearing today.

A West Yorkshire Police spokesperson said: "On November 12, police were called to an address in the Woodhouse area of Leeds where a woman had been found dead.

"There were no suspicious circumstances and the Coroner’s Office was informed."