The grief-stricken mother of a teenager who died after an allergic reaction broke down in court as her daughter’s desperate pleas for help were read out.
Emma Turey clutched a framed portrait of Shante Turey-Thomas as the teenager’s final moments were disclosed during an inquest into her death.
St Pancras Coroner’s Court heard how the student, from Wood Green in north London, said “I’m going to die” moments before she fell unconscious late on September 14, 2018, a week before her 19th birthday.
She died in hospital shortly afterwards.
The inquest heard how Ms Turey spent several minutes on the phone to the NHS’s non-emergency 111 service after her daughter initially reported feeling unwell.
But her condition deteriorated while her mother was seeking medical advice over the phone and her Emerade adrenaline auto-injector pen (AAI) failed to work.
A transcript from the phone call to 111, read at the inquest on Monday afternoon, revealed how Ms Turey-Thomas could be heard in the background, telling her mother: “My chest hurts, my throat is closing and I feel like I’m going to pass out.”
The student then asked her mother to check how long the ambulance would be, before adding: “I’m going to die.”
One ambulance was sent to a wrong address six miles away and the one which did arrive took almost an hour, having initially been assigned as a category 3 response, law firm Leigh Day said.
During the phone call to 111, Ms Turey described how her daughter said she had eaten hazelnut.
In a statement, Ms Turey said: “She looked at me and told me the Epi pen hadn’t worked.
“I immediately took Shante downstairs and looked in the medical cupboard, and gave her some Piriton (allergy tablets).
“She became unconscious, her lips turned blue and she started to have a seizure.
“I started with CPR, other family members arrived, I was terrified.”
Ms Turey said she was so traumatised by her daughter’s death that she has been unable to return to the family home.
Speaking ahead of the hearing, Ms Turey said: “Shante’s death has left a hole in our family that we will never be able to fill.
“We are devastated that we will not be able to see her grow from the amazing girl that she was into the accomplished adult that she was becoming.
“I hope that the inquest will help provide answers about how Shante died in the way she did.”
Lawyers said the inquest – which is listed to last for three days – will examine a number of alleged failings, including the response by the NHS non-emergency 111 service.