G4S driver spent £1,400 in JD Sports after theft, court told

A G4S driver who stole almost £1 million from one of the firm’s vans blew £1,400 in JD Sports the day after the theft, a court has heard.

Joel March, 36, fled with deposit boxes after abandoning the cash-in-transit vehicle in a leafy south London street on April 23.

The blue armoured van, emblazoned with G4S logos, sat on a double yellow line on Larkhall Rise, Clapham, for eight hours before police were alerted, The Sun reported at the time.

Oxford Street Stores Stock
Oxford Street Stores Stock

The Metropolitan Police’s elite Flying Squad unit launched an investigation and the 36-year-old was arrested on suspicion of theft in neighbouring Brixton the following day.

March, of Rectory Grove, Clapham, admitted theft by employee of more than £900,000 at Camberwell Green Magistrates’ Court last month.

At a hearing at Inner London Crown Court on Tuesday, prosecutor Alex Agbamu said: “The total amount is around the £900,000 mark – £880,000 is still missing and unaccounted for.”

He added: “The day after he committed the theft he went to JD Sports on Streatham High Street and spent £1,400 on sportswear and trainers.”

Michael Hillman, for March, asked for the case to be adjourned ahead of sentence to allow for psychiatric and pre-sentence reports to be prepared.

He said that March had only one previous conviction for which he received a £40 fine and had been sectioned on three occasions.

Mr Hillman added March could be facing further charges relating to the missing money.

“There’s no explanation for why he’s done what he’s done – psychiatric reports might provide some background on some relevant matter,” he said.

Judge Usha Karu listed the case for sentence at the same court on July 26.

March appeared in court via videolink in a green prison tracksuit and spoke only to confirm he understood the proceedings.

Following the theft G4S, a major Government contractor, said there had been no “material” financial impact on its business.

A G4S spokeswoman said: “These incidents are extremely rare in our UK cash business and we are working closely with the Metropolitan Police to resolve the matter. The financial impact is not material.”