Family pays tribute to boy, 15, who was stabbed to death

The family of a 15-year-old who was stabbed to death in east London have paid tribute to the “loving, caring boy” who had an “infectious laugh”.

Detectives believe aspiring musician Tashaun Aird was killed after a “fracas” with a group of youths in a park on Wednesday evening.

His family went to the scene of his death in Somerford Grove, Hackney, with one woman heard screaming: “It’s my son. It’s my son.”

In a statement released by Scotland yard on Friday, they said: “Tashaun was family orientated, he loved his family and we loved him dearly. He was passionate about his music and he loved drawing. He was a loving, caring boy with an infectious laugh.

“There are no words to avoid this empty void we now have, a huge part of us is now missing. He was a talented young boy and worked hard in his studies, particularly with his English.

“We are deeply shocked and saddened by our loss; we have lost a dear son, a brother, a nephew, a grandson and an uncle in Tashaun.”

Another teenager, 16, was riding a bicycle when he was stabbed and chased, before he sought refuge in a convenience store.

He remains in hospital after he was found with stab injuries in nearby Shacklewell Road, but police said his injuries were not life-threatening.

Hackney stabbing
Hackney stabbing

There have been no arrests and police are appealing for information.

Detective Chief Inspector Helen Rance said: “Tashaun’s family have been left devastated by the sudden loss of their son and we are continuing to do everything we can to find those responsible.

“We believe both victims were attacked following a fracas with another group of youths in a park near Somerford Grove before both fled.

“Although we are following a number of leads we are urging anyone who has any information that may help our investigation to get in touch with us or Crimestoppers anonymously.”

The killing, which is the 44th homicide in the capital this year and the 27th fatal stabbing, happened in Somerford Grove on Wednesday night.

Despite efforts of medics to save him, he was pronounced dead at 9.49pm. He is the eighth teenager to die violently so far this year.

A post-mortem examination gave his provisional cause of death as a stab wound to the lung.

A friend who visited the scene of the boy’s death said: “It’s sad. It came to us as a surprise because he was a good guy.

“We did music together. He didn’t only produce afrobeats, he made drill music as well. He also sold some beats to some big artists.

“I never thought that any of my friends would be murdered. I’m shocked.”

Another friend added: ”I’m so done. It doesn’t feel safe anymore.”