A lottery winner accused of forging his £2.5 million ticket has denied fraud.
Edward Putman allegedly claimed an outstanding jackpot with a faked ticket nearly a decade ago.
The 53-year-old, of Kings Langley, Hertfordshire, pleaded not guilty to one count of fraud by false representation when he appeared at St Albans Magistrates’ Court on Tuesday.
The charge said he produced a fraudulent ticket in Watford, where National Lottery operator Camelot is based, on September 1 2009.
Hertfordshire Police previously said their serious fraud and cyber unit began investigating in 2015 after evidence came to light that the claim was not genuine.
The jackpot from a draw in March 2009 initially went unclaimed, but what was purported to be the winning ticket was produced before the deadline.
National Lottery operator Camelot paid out the £2,525,485 prize.
Putman, of Station Road, Kings Langley, filmed the media as he entered the court with his face covered by a scarf, sunglasses and a peaked beanie hat.
In court, he spoke only to plead not guilty and confirm his personal details.
He was released on unconditional bail to face trial on November 19 at St Albans Crown Court.