Man caught on camera having knife fight on Tube jailed

A man who was caught on camera lunging with a knife towards another person on the Tube has been jailed for eight years.

At around 5.30am on August 5 last year, Joseph Dunkley, 46, was at Brixton Underground station when was approached by an unknown man, British Transport Police (BTP) said.

After a heated argument, a fight broke out and Dunkley made lunges towards the man with a knife.

The unknown man ran away and Dunkley walked into Brixton station, heading towards a Victoria Line train.

Meanwhile, a group of males, including 18-year-old Samuel Gbo, entered the same station.

On a northbound service, Dunkley confused Gbo with someone else and became violent.

During the journey towards Stockwell, Dunkley threatened the group of men with a knife and then stabbed Gbo.

Joseph Dunkley has been jailed for eight years (BTP/PA)
Joseph Dunkley has been jailed for eight years (BTP/PA)

The teenager then produced a knife and stabbed Dunkley twice on the arm.

At Stockwell, the disorder spilled onto the platform where police and paramedics attended.

Investigating officer Pc Neil Lane, from BTP, said: "Knife crime will never be tolerated on the London Underground network, and today's sentence shows the consequence of knife crime.

"The Tube network is rich with CCTV, and we use this vital evidence to identify offenders and bring them before the courts.

"Those individuals who are intent on carrying knives should see this sentence as a deterrent to this reckless behaviour."

Dunkley appeared at Southwark Crown Court on Friday and was jailed for eight years.

He was previously found guilty of affray, violent disorder, unlawful malicious wounding and GBH with intent.

He has previously pleaded guilty to a charge of possession of an offensive weapon.

Gbo pleaded guilty to charges of violent disorder, possession of an offensive weapon and unlawful malicious wounding.

At Southwark Crown Court on March 16, he was handed a 16-month prison sentence, suspended for 24 months, and was also ordered to pay a £20 victim surcharge.