Volunteers come to aid of drivers left stranded on M62 for 10 hours

Dozens of volunteers have been battling through snow to help drivers left stranded on a motorway for more than 10 hours.

Motorists on the M62 in Greater Manchester were trapped in their cars overnight after heavy snow and high winds left the road impassable.

But local residents in Milnrow, Rochdale, came to their aid, bringing hot drinks, food and blankets to people stuck on the carriageway.

Volunteer Eleanor Kelly, 19, said about 30 people had braved the conditions to take supplies up the hill to the motorway - including to a father with a baby and toddler in the car.

Volunteers in Milnrow, Rochdale, take supplies to people stuck on the M62 (Eleanor Kelly/PA)
Volunteers in Milnrow, Rochdale, take supplies to people stuck on the M62 (Eleanor Kelly/PA)

She said: "We've been trying to get to as many people as we can in about a mile radius from where we can get to the carriageway.

"It's been a bit mad. We even had to warm up some hot milk for a guy stuck at the junction with two children.

"We knocked on his car and he had a five-week-old baby and what must have been a one or two-year-old girl in the car with him."

The local community centre, Butterworth Hall, was also opened overnight to provide refuge for those stranded.

To view this content, you'll need to update your privacy settings.
Please click here to do so.

Ms Kelly added: "One guy came in who had come from north Lincolnshire and had been in his car since 8.30am.

"The church next door is also opening, and we're preparing for a coach-load of pensioners soon.

"It's been amazing to see so many people turning out to help us - it's quite impressive to see."

Greater Manchester Police warned conditions on the roads remained dangerous overnight, with strong winds causing snow drifts.

The North West Motorway Police said wind speeds had reached 90mph over the Rakewood Viaduct, between junctions 21 and 22 of the M62.

J21-22 M62 the wind speeds over Rakewood are 90mph that is the reason vehicles cannot continue as it would be a risk to life.

-- NW Motorway Police (@NWmwaypolice) March 2, 2018

Dave Webb, 37, from Wakefield, said he had been stuck for about 10 hours halfway between the two junctions, with queues of other stranded vehicles in front and behind him.

Speaking to the Press Association at about 3.30am he said: "We came to a halt at about 5.30pm last night and have been here since.

"We brought water, snacks and blankets for myself and my wife and have plenty of petrol, but we just want to be home now.

"There hasn't been any snow since about 6.30pm but the wind is pretty strong and gusting. Ploughs have been on the eastbound carriageway."

Meanwhile, police said they were carrying out a "rescue operation" after about 100 drivers became stranded on the A303 at Ilminster in Somerset.

And Hampshire Police said they were dealing with a "major incident" due to stuck vehicles on the A31.

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]function(){(i[r].q=i[r].q[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)})(window,document,'script','//www.google-analytics.com/analytics.js','ga');ga('create', 'UA-72310761-1', 'auto', {'name': 'pacontentapi'});ga('pacontentapi.set', 'referrer', location.origin);ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension1', 'By Ellie Cullen, Press Association');ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension2', 'f6dcb866-2172-4d56-ae59-acfaa937168e');ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension3', 'paservice:news,paservice:news:uk');ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension6', 'story');ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension7', 'composite');ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension8', null);ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension9', null);ga('pacontentapi.send', 'pageview', { 'location': location.href, 'page': (location.pathname + location.search + location.hash), 'title': 'Volunteers come to aid of drivers left stranded on M62 for 10 hours'});