Road closures and delays after two multi-vehicle crashes

Stretches of two major roads are closed after separate road crashes involving more than a dozen vehicles.

Parts of the A3 and the M23 in Surrey ground to a halt on Thursday morning following five and eight-vehicle collisions respectively, with diesel spillages reported on both routes.

One person was taken to hospital with potentially serious injuries, while another sustained minor injuries, both on the M23, Surrey Police said.

M23 at a standstill (Steve Goss/PA Wire)
M23 at a standstill (Steve Goss/PA Wire)

Company director Steve Goss said he was stuck in stationary traffic three miles from the M23 accident site for two hours before police started to turn cars around at around 2.30pm.

The 49-year-old, who was returning to Bristol after picking up his son at Gatwick Airport, said: "People are out of their cars, walking dogs, chatting, very patient and very British.

M23 at a standstill (H&VAutoelectrical/PA)
M23 at a standstill (H&VAutoelectrical/PA)

"Nothing is moving. All sorts of emergency vehicles have gone past us: fire engines, ambulances, police, highway maintenance and helicopters overhead.

"We're preparing for a very long wait - looks like a long round trip now!"

2nd video update on the M23 and A3 closures.

1sr video, which has more info, here:

-- RPU - Surrey Police (@SurreyRoadCops) February 15, 2018

The M23 collision happened between junction nine for Gatwick and junction eight for the M25, while the A3 smash happened between Ripley and Ockham.

Officers were called to the A3 at 10.25am and were alerted to the M23 crash 20 minutes later.

Both routes are likely to remain shut for a prolonged period owing to spilled diesel, which can degrade tarmac, police added.

Diversions are in place for both routes and travellers are urged to check Surrey Police social media channels for live updates.

(function(i,s,o,g,r,a,m){i['GoogleAnalyticsObject']=r;i[r]=i[r]function(){(i[r].q=i[r].q[]).push(arguments)},i[r].l=1*new Date();a=s.createElement(o),m=s.getElementsByTagName(o)[0];a.async=1;a.src=g;m.parentNode.insertBefore(a,m)})(window,document,'script','//','ga');ga('create', 'UA-72310761-1', 'auto', {'name': 'pacontentapi'});ga('pacontentapi.set', 'referrer', location.origin);ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension1', 'By Thomas Hornall, Press Association');ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension2', '64810a2e-9b6c-4b78-a250-8c758e4e786d');ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension3', 'paservice:news,paservice:news:uk');ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension6', 'story');ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension7', 'composite');ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension8', null);ga('pacontentapi.set', 'dimension9', null);ga('pacontentapi.send', 'pageview', { 'location': location.href, 'page': (location.pathname + + location.hash), 'title': 'Road closures and delays after two multi-vehicle crashes'});