Inquest resumes into father and daughter swept out to sea in Cornwall

An inquest will resume into the deaths of a father and two-year-old daughter who died after being swept into the sea.

Rudy Bruynius and Mckayla were killed in the incident at Fistral beach in Newquay, Cornwall on August 19 last year when they were caught by a large wave while stood on rocks.

The RNLI lifeboat, Coastguard helicopter, beach lifeguards, police, air ambulance and ambulance crews attended the scene.

Mr Bruynius, a gardener who was originally from South Africa, died in hospital later that night while his daughter died four days later at Bristol Children's Hospital. His wife, Lisinda, and two sons survived the tragedy.

The family, who are from Croydon in south London, were holidaying in the Newquay area when the incident happened.

They died during a weekend in which a total of six people were killed in tragedies around the coast.

"Rudy was a loving, caring and supportive husband, father and friend," Mrs Bruynius said last year.

"He had a great sense of humour and was an active person. He always put other people first. Mckayla was a busy bee and always happy.

"I am in disbelief at what has happened. I am so shocked at how quickly the sea condition changed on that day whilst we were enjoying a family time together in Cornwall.

"I pray that others can learn from our tragedy as I do not wish for anybody to go through our grief.

"I would like to thank the RNLI, the staff at Royal Cornwall Hospital, the staff from Bristol Royal Hospital for Children, the emergency services and all the members of public for their generous support and prayers they have given towards my family.

"I would especially like to thank the people of Cornwall for their messages of love and offers of help.

"I will never forget the close community spirit displayed towards us."

A fundraising page, set up to support the family, raised nearly £50,000.

The inquest will take place at Cornwall Coroner's Court in Truro.

Read Full Story