A 10-year-old boy in Australia has survived a bite from one of the world's deadliest spiders.
Matthew Mitchell was clearing out the shed with his father in Sydney when he was bitten by the funnel web spider, which was hiding in a shoe.
See also: Gigantic spider creeps out British tourists in Caribbean
See also: Black widow spider found on Gatwick plane
He survived after being given the biggest dose of anti-venom in the nation's history.
He was given 12 vials of anti-venom and his recovery has been described as "incredible".
According to the Telegraph, the general manager of the Australian Reptile Park, Tim Faulkner, said: "I've never heard of it - it's incredible. And to walk out of hospital a day later with no effects is a testament to the antivenom."
According to the Metro, Matthew told Australia's Daily Telegraph: "It sort of clawed onto me and all the legs and everything crawled around my finger and I couldn't get it off."
The spider was captured and taken to the Australian Reptile Park, which will milk its venom for use in future rescues.
Australian funnel-webs are one of the most dangerous groups of spiders in the world and are regarded by some to be the most deadly, both in terms of clinical cases and venom toxicity.
They are attracted to water and hence are often found in swimming pools, into which they often fall while wandering. The spiders can survive immersion in water for several hours and can deliver a bite when removed from the water. They also show up in garages and yards in suburban Sydney, as in the case of Matthew Mitchell.
Funnel-web spiders are not normally aggressive, but they will defend themselves vigorously if frightened or threatened. During an attack, the funnel-web spider generally maintains a tight grip on its victim and bites repeatedly, making it an especially traumatic experience and increasing the risk of severe envenomation.
There have been 27 recorded deaths in Australia in the last 100 years from spider bites. Most victims were young, ill or infirm. Bites from Sydney funnel-web spiders have caused thirteen deaths (seven in children).In all cases where the sex of the biting spider could be determined, it was found to be the male of the species.
Anti-venom has limited its potential threat since it was produced in the 1980s.