Couple sues Greek resort after poo in pool ruins wedding
Danielle, 30, and Mark Woollaston, 38, have launched legal action against the Marelen Hotel in Kalamaki on Zante.
See also: 'Worst hotel' in Britain shut down over fire safety fears
See also: Katie Price to 'sue' Glasgow hotel that 'lost more than £100,000 worth of diamonds'
The pair travelled to the Greek island for two weeks to get married and stayed at the three-star resort with 50 friends and family members in August last year.
But their wedding celebrations were ruined because of a severe gastric illness outbreak at the hotel during their stay.
The bride, groom and the majority of their guests were then diagnosed with Cryptosporidium, a parasite that causes severe symptoms, on their return to the UK.
Danielle and Mark, who live in Sutton Coldfield, West Mids., have now instructed expert personal injury lawyers to investigate the outbreak at the Marelen Hotel.
Other guests who are also taking legal action told how the swimming pool was closed for several days due to faeces in the water.
Mark today said the couple's dream £15,000 wedding was ruined by the illness.
The company director, who lives with Danielle and their two children Sophie, 7, and Cameron, 5, added: "We both felt unwell during the holiday.
"I was suffering from diarrhoea, vomiting and horrendous stomach cramps on the actual day of the wedding.
"It spoilt the day and it is so frustrating and disappointing.
"I didn't get to eat any of my wedding meal that we had paid for due to fearing I would have to go straight to the toilet."
Mark and personal banker Danielle were both forced to take time off work after returning from the holiday as a result of the illness they suffered.
Many of their guests were also unable to go to a wedding reception they held back in Britain because of ongoing symptoms they were suffering.
Danielle said: "It was a once in a lifetime event ruined and we will never be able to get that back.
"We spent all our that money and the best day of our lives has been ruined because people can't be bothered to clean the pool.
"The first week everyone was fine but the second week we all started dropping like flies. I would say the majority of the 50 guests were ill, including the children.
"I was in bed for three days before the wedding day and only made it by dosing myself up on medication.
"Two of the groomsmen who are normally the life of the party were really ill and had to go back to their rooms early.
"The most upsetting thing is that our wedding, a celebration with our families and friends, was spoilt not once but twice because of this outbreak.
"When we returned to the UK we knew many guests would be unable to attend the second wedding reception because we ourselves were still feeling unwell, so we knew others would still be suffering.
"I am not surprised we are not the only group of holidaymakers who have fallen ill at this hotel this year.
"All we want to know now is what caused our illness and ruined our wedding and why was more not done to protect the guests of the hotel."
A total of 93 disgruntled holidaymakers have instructed expert international personal injury lawyers at Irwin Mitchell to investigate the outbreak of illness.
The group legal action also includes an another wedding party who travelled to the Marelen Hotel after their guests also suffered with Cryptosporidium.
People from that party noticed the swimming pool was closed for several days due to faeces in the water.
Over a third of the 93 people affected are children with 33 youngsters suffering from illnesses including diarrhoea, abdominal pain and tiredness.
Jatinder Paul, an Associate Solicitor and expert international personal injury lawyer for Irwin Mitchell, said: "Cryptosporidium can have serious, long-term health implications for those affected.
"We are now representing almost 100 people who were affected by illness at the Marelen Hotel following holidays this year and we are still receiving enquiries from other guests at the hotel.
"Many of our clients are giving us the same description of their time at the hotel and the problems that they faced, including problems with faeces in the swimming pool, which our clients tell us was not dealt with as promptly as it could and should have been.
"We would encourage anyone who stayed at the Marelen Hotel this summer and has since experienced gastric symptoms to see their GP at the earliest available opportunity.
"We would also like to speak with them as they may be able to help with our investigations."
Cryptosporidium is a microscopic parasite which causes severe gastric symptoms like diarrhoea and vomiting.
It is often spread through contaminated water in swimming pools or due to poor food hygiene.
The Woollaston event was booked through UK firm Hays Travel with the tour operator Thomas Cook.
However, the law firm's statement today said the legal action was against the hotel.
Attempts to contact the hotel have been unsuccessful.