Martin Brundle reveals he had heart attack at Monaco Grand Prix
Formula 1 commentator Martin Brundle has revealed that he suffered a minor heart attack while covering the 2016 Monaco Grand Prix.
The former F1 driver made the revelation during an interview at the Autosport International Show, which is currently underway at Birmingham's NEC.
"I had a small heart attack running to do the podium in Monaco," he told reporters.
However, after the medical episode, he went on to interview race winner Lewis Hamilton and podium finishers Daniel Ricciardo and Sergio Perez.
Eleven days after the race, which was held on May 29, 2016, Brundle announced on Twitter that he had undergone treatment, leaving his followers to speculate.
"Had a medical procedure last week, went extremely well," he wrote, adding that he wouldn't make the Montreal Grand Prix on June 12.
However, on June 16 Brundle climbed behind the wheel of the United Autosports team Ligier JSP3 to take pole position in qualifying for the Road to Le Mans – a support race to the 24 Hours of Le Mans.
Alongside co-driver Christian England, he then went on to finish second overall in the race on Saturday 18 June.
Later that day, Brundle tweeted again, writing: "Thanks also to the Cardiologist and surgeon who fixed my serious heart issue 2 weeks ago and gave me confidence to race. I am 20 yrs younger."
In his recent interview, Brundle said: "I ended up with a 23mm stent in my left arterial descending. So I didn't think I could do the race and the cardio guy said 'yeah, you can do the race, just don't forget your blood thinners'."
"I went to Palmersport and did 75 laps in a car and thought 'yeah, I can do this'. I had bruises coming out of my chest but I thought 'I love Le Mans, I'm not going to miss this'."
"I sat at the press conference and there was a 17-year-old and a 19-year-old sitting alongside me and I thought 'that's not bad for an old geezer, 57'. We finished second in the race which was unfortunate, not first."